Sunday, May 19, 2013

Happiness and Peace - with Blue Fern Studios

 

Today is Blue Fern Studios day.  I made a layout for my dad and a tag for my husband. 

This first layout is called Happiness Is...

It is a photo I took of my father last summer.  He has his fishing vest on and his fishing hat.  He was walking back from the pond behind his house where he had just taught my son to fish. It was the sweetest moment.  

My dad loves to fish.  Even with his cane in his hand, he can still find a way to cast a line.  He was so happy the day my son called him up and asked if he could learn from the best. He had been waiting for a lifetime to teach someone.  This day finally arrived.


My dad he has taught us wisdom, grace, selflessness and patience and what it means to wait for something you love...

As kids, he took us on family fishing trips with great hope one of us would catch the fishing fever and fall in love with it. He was patient - we weren't. He was a great teacher -we didn't listen. He was encouraging - we'd rather stay home. To his dismay, none of us "got hooked". Four kids, no luck. Like a pond full of potential yet no bites.

Joy of joys, we all had children and Grandpa's hope for a 'lil fishin' buddy was rekindled. As the years passed, not a single grandchild expressed a lick of interest in fishing. Poor Grandpa was settling into the lonely realization that it probably wasn't going to happen.

Last summer, at age 15, my son's first spark of interest flickered. I took my son right to the family expert for advice and tips. Grandpa beamed with pride. He'd been waiting some 25 years for one of his grandchildren to take up fishing. Any grandchild. Someone please just hook a worm would ya
Grandpa went to his barn and started digging out this and that until a sizable pile had been stacked. You should have seen Grandpa's face as he proudly handed over his equipment like a rite of passage.
One treasure was an old fishing vest that fit my son like it was custom made. My dad must have had that 'ol vest for about 50 years or longer.

Dont'cha know fishing vests apparently do not go out of style.

That afternoon, Grandpa and I watched my son ride away on his bike to the fishing pond. The memory of that day will warm my heart for many years to come. Boy on bike wearing the old vest, and Grandpa's fishing pole sticking out of his backpack. I think I saw Grandpa dab away a tear.
Thanks to Grandpa for sharing his beloved equipment with my son.

Soooooooo how did my son do? Well the photo attached shows the joy of his first catch. In time I imagine this fish will get bigger as the fish in stories always do - until they reach epic sizes. But that is OK. Every person needs a fish tale...of course as daddy's little girl, I believe each and every one of my dad's fish stories to be the truth (wink).

Thanks to cell phone photos, my son was able to give Grandpa the best gift ever...a picture of his first catch ever with the assistance of a loving Grandpa.

My father was able to help create a memory that my son will have forever. Truly a great , caring and loving Grandpa and father.


This was created using the Once Upon a Sketch layout created by Nadia Cannizzo.



Natural Sprigs Set - 074639

Good Vibes 074899

Seasonal Wildflowers 074394




In the image above, I used the Natural Sprigs Set and painted them with some crackle paint, added ink to the edges and then micro beads and mossy textures.  I wanted to keep them looking like weeds at the pond. 

In the image below, the Blue Fern Happiness piece from the Good Vibes set was painted with a clear crackle paint and sprinkled with micro beads, then inked with dark chestnut ink.  I also dabbed with some cream colored acrylic paint. 


This image shows the Seasonal Wildflowers chipboard piece - one of my favorite pieces. I painted it with gesso,  and painted the stems with green ink.  I topped with gold seed beads - made it look kind of weed-like. 

Here are some more photos from that day. It warms my heart to have been there!






This is the first fish he caught!  Look at that joy!

This is my dad from  a few years ago.  Look at that fish!  And No......I did not edit it via photoshop. hahaha 


Here is a tag I made called Peace. Being new to the world of tag making, I am having fun with them.  My husband is taking all my tags and attaching them to wine bottle for gifts. 


Here are the chipboard pieces I used on this:


Nifty Tags & Tickets - 074738

Good Vibes 074899
Fancy Birdcage 074677

The Peace chippie from the Good Vibes set was painted with teal paint and accented with gold paint. 
I paired the star from the Nifty Tags & Tickets set with the stand from the birdcages. The star is coated with gold paint and topped with an ornate metal star from my stash - an old piece of jewelry.  


Thanks so very much for stopping by.  Check back often as Blue Fern is adding new designs all the time. 

I also want to remind you about the monthly sketch challenge at Blue Fern ( designed by Michele Singh)



The sketch is amazing. If you don't have a fence punch some borders, use some strips of paper, add some paper rolls.  Come on - get creative and win this amazing Blue Fern prize.


1. You must use at least one piece of Blue Fern Studios chipboard in your entry (any piece of your choosing). If you're wondering where to buy, see the link HERE!

2. Please do not use any other brand of chipboard.

3. Upload your projects using the Inlinkz tool below by midnight EST on May 31st, 2013.



Supplies used:
Happiness Is... Layout:
Blue Fern Studios Good Vibes 074899
Blue Fern Studios  Seasonal Wildflowers 074394
Blue Fern Studios Natural Sprigs Set - 074639
Kaisercraft Pickled Pear Avocado P973/Willow P970
The Crafters Workshop (TCW) Reverse Chicken Wire Template
Tim Holtz Walnut Distress Ink
Art Anthology Colorations Spray - Timeless
Molding paste
Beads
Misc floral picks and berries
Bo Bunny
Flower Soft - Nutmeg
Martha Stewart Micro Beads - gold and teal
Martha Stewart edge punch - spider web
Clearsnap Donna Salazar Mixd Media Inx - Vintage / Mossy
Ranger Glossy accents
Adirondack Acrylic Paint - Sandal
Ranger Tim Holtz Crackle Paint - Antique Linen
Dew Drops - clear acrylic beads
Dry Wall Tape

Peace Tag:
Blue Fern Studios Nifty Tags & Tickets - 074738
Blue Fern Studios Fancy Birdcage 074677
Blue Fern Studios Good Vibes 074899
Lumiere Teal Paint
Gold Doily
Kaissercraft 75Cent Collection - Phrases and Expressions Butterfly paper/ Penny
Metal Star
Martha Stewart microbeads
Viva Inca Gold- Old Gold
Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink



6 comments:

  1. Such super stunning projects, as always, Jen - so full of amazing texture and detail, and sparkle! Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh Jen, just look at your expert transformation of the chippies into verdure!! This is such a sweet blogpost and those photos make me smile with tenderness. Your projects are awesome as always, totally amazing!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fabulous layou Jen! so many gorgeous details to admire. That Pickled Pear paper picks up the hues from the photo in the most splendid way, couldn't be more perfect. Absolutely marvellous with the beads and mossy texture. Thank you so much for sharing your stunning page with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous projects Jennifer! Love your layout for OUAS...just makes you step back into nature! Beautiful photo and such beautiful accents! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful layout! I studied, and studied it, thinking you had done a "Solanges" technique in the upper left corner of the photo, but I think, no, you are just a wonderful photographer as well and caught some beautiful reflections on the water! It looks wonderful framed by all your gorgeous chipboard.

    Grandfather's are so special. Your son is very lucky to get to spend time with your dad. My boys also spent a lot of time with my dad who is a nature enthusiast, and learned a lot from him, and my daughter will never forget him teaching her to ride her bike WITHOUT the training wheels. (Seems I was content to leave them on forever! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely beautiful post. Your layout is gorgeous to boot! Thanks for sharing it with us at OUAS

    ReplyDelete