Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thankful for Documenting the Past Through Photos-Donna Salazar -Sketch Challenge Nov.

Thankful for Documenting the Past Through Old Photos 

I love old photos.  Mine, yours, anyones.  They intrigue me and captivate me.  If you were to scroll through my galleries, you would quickly see that I craft a lot of my artwork using someones vintage photo.  Many times it will be a photo I grabbed from the US Library of Congress Flickr project, from University of Washington's Flicker project, or numerous other sites that I have saved. 
The best sites for me are the historical ones that I mentioned above.  I can combine my love of history with the intrigue of the photo.  I usually can do a little research on the photo and come away satisfied that I have learned a little something in the process of scrapping a cool image.   
So on to my layout.  I found this wonderful photo - and yes, it is a photo.  At some point it must have been enhanced with color but there are no records of this other then this image.    The photo was taken in Alaska in 1905 by Frank H. Nowell.  This is an  Eskimo boy named Menadblook.  I saw the photo and fell in love with the richness of his parka/anorak and his intense expression.

As a little side bar note:
An anorak or parka is a type of heavy jacket with a hood, often lined with fur or fake fur, so as to protect the face from a combination of freezing temperatures and wind. This kind of garment, originally made from caribou or seal was invented by the Caribou InuitInuit (Eskimo) of the Arctic region, who needed clothing that would protect them from wind chill and wetness while hunting and kayaking. Certain types of Inuit anoraks have to be regularly coated with fish oil to keep their water resistance.


The rules this month were as follows:

* Create a layout about something you are thankful for 
OR create a 'Thank You' card.
                                      * Include the color BROWN in your project

                                      * Use a tag on your project

                                      * Use at least one product by Donna Salazar Designs.

The photo above shows the Spellbinders/Donna Salazar Shadow Flowers die I used with paper from the Spring in Bloom Collection.  I embossed the edges with standard white embossing powder for a frosty look. 

The pine cones were gathered on a hike last fall in a park.   It was a beautiful Sunday in Oct and I suggested that husband and I go to the park for a nice walk.  He asked why I was bringing a paper bag.  LOL.  BUSTED.  I was hoping to find tiny pine cones hidden behind the guise of a stroll on a beautiful day.   Actually I must credit him because he was the one who found them and actually plucked them from a tree. 

I used the Dusty Attic Corner Flourish #3 DA0623 .....little confession of just how crazy I am......I remembered that Dusty Attic code name off the top of my head.  UGH!  I'm a product junkie. 

I coated it with Stampendous Chunky White embossing enamel.  The I used a little Lindy's Stamp Gang embossing powder here and there to add some blue.

The bark piece is leftover from another project.  Gotta hang on to scraps of every thing ya know.


I used Donna Salazar's VINE stame on the edges dabbed in gesso. 


Eskimo boy named Menadblook, Alaska University of Washington Libraries. Digital Collections content.lib.washington.edu/




I used a lot of Donna Salazar products here.  I am in love with her stamps and Mixd Media inx.  She also has this amazing collection, Spring in Bloom that I used here. 

The fish bones above were the creative collaboration of my husband.  He looked at my piece and said, "What?  No fish bones?"  Thus I hopped to my computer and printed some off on transparency.  Thanks doll!

Thanks a million for looking and spending time with young Menadblook and me.

1 comment:

  1. I say wow Jennifer! thanks ever so much for the close-ups, made it possible to see all the beutiful details you so expertly have used on this fabulous page. Gorgeous page as always! xox

    ReplyDelete