Friday, October 2, 2020

Spooky Patchwork Pumpkin Home Decor with Shaker Embellishments

This is the time of year to shop for those Halloween bargains that don't break the budget and are interesting to alter with your personal flair.  It's Halloween decorating season!

Today I'd like to share a DIY Halloween home décor piece that is easier than it looks.

Here are the chipboard pieces used on the pumpkin; Creative Embellishments - Jolly Jack O Lanterns and Creative Embellishments - Spider Shaker.

Creative Embellishments - Spider Shaker?search=spiderCreative Embellishments - Jolly Jack O Lanterns.html

DIY Instructions/Tips
I created a quick tutorial showing how I made this pumpkin.  Enjoy! I started out with a fairly unattractive foam pumpkin ( it was super cheap - maybe because it was what I call "underwhelming") and Halloween fabric I purchased because it was fun.  I don't sew or quilt but I still have to stop and admire the fabrics. Once in a while I indulge in a 1/4 yard here and there.

My pumpkin is approx. 9 inches around so I cut the fabric into 3in strips to cover the pumpkin ribs.  The size of the fabric strips will differ depending on the size of the pumpkin.

I slathered Matte Gel Medium onto the pumpkin and smoothed the fabric over the pumpkin.  Then I covered the fabric with the matte gel medium.  The gel medium dries clear and acts like a great glue.  I also used matte gel medium because I do not want a shiny finish.

Gel medium is like Mod Podge.  That works well too.

Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - 3D Matte Gel - 8 Ounces

After the pumpkin is completely covered in patchwork, I took hemp and twisted around the pumpkin stem to finish the piece and hide the fabric seams that join at the stem.   I started the hemp at the top of the stem and worked toward the pumpkin.

Time to decorate the pumpkin.  I added black cheesecloth ( now is the time to skip to your dollar store and grab the Halloween spooky cheesecloth).  I also added black lace.

Next, I added the Creative Embellishments - Spider Shaker   to the side of the pumpkin.  I painted the spider with black and gray acrylic paint, and filled it with fun, fabulous Buttons Galore - Trick Or treat Shaker Mix .

Buttons Galore -Trick Or Treat Ll624?_pos=2&_sid=28eba0ac1&_ss=r


Finally, I finished off with a black polkadot tulle bow and one of the chipboard pumpkins from Creative Embellishments - Pumpkin Faces.

Thanks for stopping here today.  Happy Spooky Crafting.



1 comment: