Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Make A Wish Card - DIY Tutorial


Make a Wish

I received the new stamp releases from JustRite Papercrafts and I'm having a ball stamping to my little heart's delight. 

I combined some stamping with embossing.  


My vision for this card:  
Create a card with a lot of whitespace.  The whitespace will have some texture from an embossing folder.  Add some clean simple stamped sentiments.  


My vision seems easy enough and yet my first attempt failed because I did not think through the process.  I forged ahead and got caught up in the fun creativity (which is a good problem to have I guess).  

And just what was my failure?  
I was having fun embossing with Spellbinders Flourish Stitch Em-bossing Fold'ers Quilt It and liked the way it turned out.  Then I decided to add the perfect finishing touch to the card - a stamped sentiment using JustRite -Happy Birthday Sentiment One -clear stamp.    

Womp Womp....nope - cannot stamp after embossing .  While obvious to most, I simply didn't realize the stamping would not be crisp when added over the raised embossing.  Like I said earlier, I got caught up in the fun creativity.  

I thought I'd share a quick tip/tutorial because of my embossed and stamped combo card failure.  I'm trying to save you some misery, time and products as we learn from my mistakes.  Though I am sure most of you are waaaaayyyyy ahead of me and would not make this mistake. 

First Things First
This card has a few steps to it.  First I created my focal point - the stamped flower image.  I thought this resembled dandelions gone to seed.  I used to love to blow then in the yard to make a wish.   

I used JustRite Watercolor Paper Layering Swatches for my image. This product comes in perfect card size: 4"x 5.25"  and contains 100 sheets of watercolor paper perfect for layering.

After I stamped the image, I set it with Clear Embossing Powder (super fine).  Next I colored my stamp using Watercolor Brushes  and some Tim Holzt Distress Inks. a with a  Seedless Preserves and Peacock Feathers.



Here is my tip for Embossing and Stamping:

Step 1. After your artistic image has been created,  draw a circle in pencil around the stamped image.  This helps you determine where your stamped sentiment will be placed. 


Step 2.  The clear stamps are flexible and I thought the sentiment would look great mirroring the curve of the circle so that's how I placed the stamp on my clear stamp block. 

Step 3.  After the sentiment is stamped, you can then emboss.  I used Spellbinders Flourish Stitch Em-bossing Fold'ers Quilt It.

Here is one last image of the ( successfully) completed card.  
Thanks for stopping today.  
Here is my complete list of products used: 

JustRite -Happy Birthday Sentiment One -clear stamp CR-05504
JustRite Watercolor Paper Layering Swatches
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Seedless Preserves
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Oxides -Peacock Feathers
Watercolor Brushes
Clear Embossing Powder (super fine)
Clear Embossing Ink
Heat It- Heat Gun Embossing Tool
Misti Stamping Tool - (Most Incredible Stamping Tool) 
Spellbinders Flourish Stitch Em-bossing Fold'ers Quilt It by Lene LokSKU: SES-013

1 comment: