Sunday, February 14, 2021

Angel Shadow Box DIY Home Decor with Shaker - Instructions

 

Hello.  Happy Valentines Day!

Today I'm sharing my version of a very untraditional DIY Valentines home decor project.  Hmmm how so?  Well this was created for my little Granddaughter's room.  My first grandie is 7 months old and in this day of Covid, we have not gotten the opportunity to spend as much time with her as possible.  Sadly she moved 1000 miles away last week.

That is why this is a Valentines piece - made from my heart for my little loved one.   Of course the added spin to this is that I used  some of my favorite chipboard pieces AND added a shaker ( which I love making).

Scroll down and you can see the DIY tips and instructions for creating a home decor shadow box. 

Here are the chipboard pieces used in this shadowbox: Creative Embellishments Star Shaker set  and Girl Word Set.  The Star shaker set was simply painted with cream acrylic paint.  The chipboard words were embossed with Ivory Aged Embossing Enamel  from Stampendous.


 

 

Ivory Aged Embossing Enamel .60oz - Stampendous


No shaker is complete without fabulous shaker mix.  I used Buttons Galore's new Shaker Mix in a Cube- Spring Blooms.  I added the mix to the shaker, obviously, but I also added it to the bottom of the shadow box using matte gel medium, such as Prima's Art Basics - Heavy Body Gel as an adhesive.

Buttons Galore -Spring Blooms Ll547Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - Heavy Body Gel - 8.5 Ounces


Tips and Techniques

The wood frame used for the shadowbox was really a table top home decor piece on clearance at Michaels.  I am flipping it around and using the backside of the piece.  The wood frame is perfect because I can add hardware or staple embellishments as desired.  I cannot do that to plastic frames.  

The angel is a Christmas ornament I bought at the end of the season and tossed into my stash.  

As I mentioned, wood frames work the best for altering.  I'm always on the lookout for wood pieces in the clearance sections.  I attached the angel with a small eye hook that is easily screwed into the wood frame.  I didn't even need a tool because the wood is soft enough to screw with my fingers.   



 

Moving along, I decided to dab cream acrylic paint to the wood using a natural sea sponge.  The sea sponge is my choice because it leaves a stippled look on the wood - not full coverage. 


   

Here is a close up of the shadow box showing the details in the darling angel and the  star shaker.

The paper used is Graphic 45's Princess Collection - unfortunately a retired collection.

Thank you for stopping here today.  Happy crafting.


Shop Here: 

 

3 comments:

  1. you are so good at re-purposing. this is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this is perfectly precious! And CONGRATULATIONS on your first GrandBaby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredibly sweet, beautiful, and heart-touchingly meaningful creation. When I was little, my (paternal) grandma made numerous gifts for me over the years, including a few adorable soft body dolls. They meant the world to me and were cherished all through my youth (sadly, for various reasons, I no longer have any of those special items, but they live on in my heart and memory). I'm sure this stunning shadow box will likewise mean an immeasurable amount to your GD.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete