Friday, January 25, 2013

Maja Design - Winter Girl (Maud Humphrey)



Today I am here with you to show you a winter piece using the Ska Vi Ta En Fika Collection from Maja Design.  

I love pairing rich chocolate with soft blush pinks.  It's warm yet can convey chill as well - if that makes sense.  It makes sense to me.  I have never seen such gorgeous chocolate papers than these in the Fika Collection.  

For now, let me keep drooling over the Maja Design papers.   When my collections arrived, I have to admit that the Fika paper called Kladdkaka was the first one I pulled out to admire ( the brown flowered paper). 


 

For all my non-Swedish friends wondering what Kladdkaka is?  I looked this up in Google.  That's when it hit me exactly WHY this paper spoke to me.   

Kladdkaka (lit. Gooey cake but more commonly known as "chocolate mud cake") is a type of Swedish cake. This dense sticky chocolate cake is similar to the American brownie but has a soft and viscous center ( maybe like what we would know as chocolate lava cake?).  It is sometimes eaten with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  Yes yes yes - this paper is delicious in every way!!!

I rolled and crinkled my edges by wetting them with water and then drying with a heat gun.  From there, I roll and curl and rip.  

This page is layered up as snugly as the little darling in the image by Maud Humphrey.    Maud was the mother of Humphrey Bogart -legendary actor.  I was fascinated to learn that Maud was born and raised in my city.   There is more information about Maud further in this blog for those who are interested. 



In this image, you can see a little more clearly my use of the Kaisercraft  Wheat template that was created using molding paste then topped with glitter fibers while it was wet.  

The wonderful pink layer is from this collection:  




Here you can see the butterfly handcrafted by Renea Harrison - reneabouquets. 

Maud Humphrey

(1868 Rochester, NY - 1940 Hollywood, CA)

Humphrey postcard #1Before she became primarily known as Humphrey Bogart's mother, Miss Humphrey was recognized as an illustrator of children's books. As early as the 1890's, she was illustrating calendars, greeting cards and fashion magazines, as well as painting portraits of socialite children.  Into the 1920's, her advertising designs promoted Prudential Insurance and Ivory Soap, and her artwork graced the covers of Harper'sand Century magazines. Several series of her illustrations of children were published as postcards, beginning around 1908.















Oh one more thing:  
 You need a photo of Kladdkaka.  



And you need a video recipe too!  YUM!



Thanks for looking.  

Supplies:
Maja Design - Ska Vi Ta En Fika Collection - Kladdkaka, Havrerutor, Chokladmuffins
Maja Design  - Vintage Summer Basics - 1910
Tim Holtz Walnut ink
Bo Bunny Blossoms - Natural Earth Zinnia
Bo Bunny Trinkets -Gabrielle collection
My Minds Eye  - The Sweetest Thing - Lavendar
Kaisercraft Template Wheat
Gesso and molding paste
floral picks and lace
Martha Stewart - edge punch -Doily Lace
Handmade butterflies - Renea Harrison
Ranger Ink - Studio by Claudine Hellmuth - Semi-Gloss Acrylic Paint - Yellow Pastel - .5 ounces

1 comment:

  1. Wow, up early with flu, can't sleep! Glad I had this vision of loveliness to cheer me up! I love the mix of colors and patterns here and the sweet image! Love that I learned about Humphrey Bogarts mom and yummmy cake! I love how you did the edges on you brown paper, can I lift that some day??

    I just got those papers so love the inspiration you have provided! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete