Friday, November 6, 2015

Autumn Themed Shadow Box - Flying Unicorns


I'm here today to show you my shadow box created from the November Your Passion Your Art main kit and elements from the Mixed Passion floral addon kit. 

This kit features Studio75, "Splash It" collection from Poland.  
The cool thing about this paper collection is that it is really versatile and can be used for kids projects, bright and cheery projects, masculine projects, vintage, and even seasonal.  I opted to use it for a vintage holiday themed project.  


So how did I make this?  Here are my steps:

The base of my shadow box comes from the Prima butterfly resin icons that came in the Nov  Main Your Passion Your Art kit. It's a beautiful clean wood shadow box that I chose not to paint.  I didn't want that hassle. 

My backgrounds come from cutting Studio 75 Splash It papers to size for each compartment - then embossing each one.   

Next I dabbed the embossed papers with a sponge using white and light yellow acrylic paint to create a little interest in the background and yet not take away from the embellishments.



The best way to hide imperfections on altered items is by hiding them with trims.  So that's what I did.  I took some thin gold braiding and glued it to the edges of each compartment.  In the photo, I am using a wood skewer to help manipulate the cording and get it tucked nicely onto the project and snuggly into the corners.  No way my fingers could  do that!  If anyone were to ask?  My favorite tool on my desk is the simple inexpensive amazing wood skewer.
Next task was to make my Prima resin birds look a little more rustic. 

 I dabbed 13Arts Ayeeda acrylic paint  in Old Gold, onto them with my finger tip.  I just dipped my finger tip lightly into the paint and brushed it over the bird feathers to accent them.   The old gold also picks up the gold from the braiding trim used. 




Making The Leaves 
Moving on to decorating.  I made some leaves  using the Darice Assorted Leaved Die, that came in Oct Your Passion Your Art kit.  I punched them using Studio 75 "Splash It" paper collection and then enhanced them a bit with inks and glitter.

I inked the edges using Clearsnap Donna Salazar Mixed Media Inx in Vintage.   I enhanced them by adding glue to the tip of each leaf and dipping the tips into glitter. This adds a touch of holiday glitter, glam and elegance. 


After my leaves were created, I was  free to start embellishing.  The patina metal embellishments are Prima Metal Patina Trinkets.



Here are a few more close ups of the finished shadow box. 




Unicorn Fabulous Pre-Order Option
If you were not able to get your hands on the kit this month, do not be discouraged.  OK, you can be discouraged, but it's time to take matters into your hands with the pre-sale option

   Kits sell out fast.  Unicorns offer the Premier papercrafting kit WITH NO subscription obligations.  That is HUGE!  That means you are free to skip months; free to preview the kit to see if it is a kit to your liking; free to walk away on those months where your finances need to be re-directed.  We all have those months.  Unicorns understand.  

We offer a pre-order option of the 20th of every month.  You have 48 hours to pre-view the kit and all add-ons:
  • main Your Passion Your Art kit , with the monthly OTP, Off the Page, altered item
  • Mixed Passion Floral add-on chock full of gorgeous coordinating flowers
  • Mixed Art  add-on brimming with the newest mixed media products available 
  • Small Art Big Passion add-on - the coolest mini kit on the planet - for cards, tags and all projects of a mini nature
You can see all the pre-order details right HERE



Supplies:
Flying Unicorns  - Nov Your Passion Your Art Kit ( Featuring Studio 75 Splash It collection)
Prima Art Extravagance  Glitterset - Luminous 961596
13Arts Ayeeda Metallic Old Gold paint
Prima Ingvild Bolme Shabby Chic Treasures - Bird Resins 892470
Prima wood box from Resins Butterfly
Prima Metal Patina Trinkets 584924
Prima Flowers Victorian Christmas - Red Stocking 583477
Sizzix Tim Holtz Texture fades embossing folder - Damask & Regal Flourish 656994
Darice Assorted Leaved Die
Clearsnap Donna Salazer Mixed Media Inx - Vintage



1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jennifer, this is so very, very gorgeous! Your details are wonderful, as are the textures and colors and the leaves look so pretty! Thanks for sharing the process details!

    ReplyDelete