Tuesday, December 13, 2016

DIY Mitten Cards with Template to Print

 Mittens Card- with Downloadable Template :
I created a sweet set of mittens that can be used as a cool unique card, or double as an ornate box topper decoration. Heck I think they would make sweet tree ornaments as well.  

 My paper for this project was Kaisercraft - St Nicholas Collection.
This is a two-part post - with other card samples and tutorials on Part 2, found here.  

I created a pattern that you can print and make your own mitten set.  It takes me quite a while to create a custom pattern so I am happy to share.  I feel like the time spent  making the pattern is more fruitful if I share.  

I enjoyed embellishing my mittens but if you prefer them to be flat for mailing, just eliminate the bulky embellishments to accommodate shipping.  I have an example of a flatter mitten if you scroll down.  

And if you scroll some more, you'll find my template and my instructions.  So let the scrolling begin!


This is my flat version for mailing to save on postage.  

Here are the Instructions: 
Step 1.  Download my custom template. The Mitten Template download can be found here.  You will need to cut both the right and left hands out for this card.  

If you notice, each hand has two mitten shapes.  One shows a folded line.  This is the base of the card.  It must be cut using a folded piece of paper.  The second form is going to be cut from patterned paper and is a bit smaller than the outside shape.  This was designed so that I did not need to fuss with perfection.  Trying to get cut paper shapes the exact size = misery.  

Mitten Template download can be found here


Step 2.  I used two pre-folded cards to create my mittens.  These are cream/ivory and are sized 5in x 6.5in.    Be mindful of the fold.  You definitely do not want to cut the fold.  


 Step 3.  Cut the rest of the pieces out.
TIP: Each mitten hand will have a front and a back.  If you are limited in paper then make sure you have cut one left and one  right hand using the same paper - otherwise your mittens will not match.   You can use a different paper for the flip side of the mittens. 
 
Step 4.  Ink the front and back edges of all pieces.  I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.

Step 5. Time to attach the mittens together.  

You have some options so let me explain them.  

Option 1.  The mittens I made do not open.  I glued them totally shut because I did not intend them to be greeting cards - but a package decoration with a small sentiment on the palm of the mitten.   

For this option, you'll want to add the string to the inside of the mitten and glue the card closed.  
  Option 2.  This option allows for you to have both mittens open as cards.  For this card option, you'll want to add the string under the mitten layers to hid the string. 

 Option 3.  This option allows for you to have one mitten that opens as a card - and one mitten that does not open.  

Step 6.  Start embellishing as desired.  I'm going to leave the decorating decisions up to you.  



Here is the flip side of the mittens. 

Mitten Template download can be found here

Supplies for Mittens
Paper Cord Ribbon-Olive Green
Paper Pack 6.5x6.5 St Nicholas Collection
 Petaloo Dahlias - Teastained White-Petites x 24 1465-105
Petaloo  Burlap Wild Sunflower Ivory 1223-200
 Spring Cleaning Clearance - Petaloo Spray Brown
Prima Frank Garcia Memory Hardware - Grand Rosette trim 990466
Santoro Brown  organza ribbon
Prima Vintage  Emporium Flowers:  586591
Spellbinders - Mini-Doilies
Pine Punches
Tim Holtz Alterations Holly Greens Thinlits
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - - walnut


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely precious!!!! Thank you for the template! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, this is awesome!!! love your step by step instructions and template...will have to make some for next Christmas....Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete