Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Sunflower Decorated Cigar Box With Tips on Building Clusters

I'm here to share an autumn inspired piece of home decor.  I used the Oct. Your Passion your Art kit and embellished it with the gorgeous coordinated autumn Mixed Passion package.    


While the  Our Mixed Passion collection is perfectly suited to complement the main kit, this is also an amazing stand alone collection.  

You can also find this on my ETSY page - grab it quick!


The Cigar Box
So back to my box.  This is a cigar box I bought at a flea market.  This one happens to be a cool black wooden box.  I did absolutely nothing to the box except pull the brand stickers off and smell the inside of the box...mmmmmm.  Reminds me of my grandpa who smoked cigars back in the day. 

Cigar boxes are pretty inexpensive. You can search on ebay and etsy and snag some great prices. If you are bold enough, you can walk into a local smoke shop, flash that charming smile of your's and ask for a box or two in your sweetest voice.  Who can refuse you?


Creating Cohesion
I started with the front and made my flower embellishment look like a sunflower.   I used the Petaloo Darjeeling Yellow Daisies and topped it with a Petaloo Daisy Center from the main kit. I liked the simplicity of the sunflower so much that I decided to repeat it on the top and make the piece a bit more cohesive.  


Building a Cluster
On to my clustering and embellishing. I focused on using the Mixed Passion collection as I said above.  When I am  decorating a box, I prefer to have the embellishments set at an angle and not flat on the piece. Why?  Because I am making the piece to place on a shelf or dresser.  You want to be able to see  all the embellishing at a distance and not have to be directly on top of the piece to appreciate it's detailed beauty.  If the flowers and leaves were arranged flatly, like a scrap page, then you lose all the purpose of the decor.   

Step 1. I started with my main flower and work outward. A cluster needs an "anchor".  That will be my largest main Petaloo flower.  I also inked the petals of the flower to enrich it.  I glued the flower onto the box at an angle. 

Step 2.  The anchor flower is set at an angle but now needs some support so it can stay at an angle and not squish down over time. Something needs to be added behind the flower.  In this case I used the Prima leaf vines because they have wired stems.  The wire acts as a super great support. 

You have no wired vines you say? OK, then glue several small pieces of cardboard together or several layers of foam tape to support the flower.  I also used the wooden key embellishment that came in the kit and glued it behind the flower to support the flower.  Metal pieces work well also - as do small hinges that are bent with one side glued down and the other side as support.


Step 3. Now that the main anchor flower is secure and well supported with something, the back of the cluster looks like a hot mess.  No worries!  This is where the magic of embellishing comes into play.  I pulled out the gorgeous weave trim that came in the main kit and used that to cover all that unsightly horror behind the flower.   I tied a giant bow and glued it to cover up all the mess.  The bow needs to be large enough to cover messes AND large enough to be taller than the anchor flower.  It needs to be seen.   I left long bow tails because they will be used to help cover messy areas.  I secured my bow with dabs of glue to the anchor flower and I glued down the bow tails to the box. They can't flutter about if they are meant to cover messes.

Step 4. Start building the cluster.  I like both sides of the cluster to resemble each other without being exactly the same. They don't need to have similar flowers but I think they need to be similar in color.  I also like one side of the cluster to be slightly longer than the other, including the ribbon piece.  I stray from symmetry. That's just me.


Finishing the Cluster
The cluster is pretty much done.  I've added all the flowers and leaves that I care to add. To fill in the bare spots, I love to add snippets of stuff.  In this case my "stuff" happens to be cheap floral berries cut apart and glued down.



Did You Miss Out On Oct's Kits?  Never Miss A Kit Again
If you missed out on Oct's kits for any reason and want to make sure you never miss out again, then plan to exercise the Pre-Order option.  This is available starting the 20th of each month.  You have 48 hours from that point to hit the "buy" button.

We provide you with previews of the kit so you can decide if it fits your style.  It also ships right out so you are the first to get your hands on that coveted kit.

Grab this sunflower decorated box on my ETSY shop.  It's a one-of-a kind so grab it quick.  
Products:
Flying Unicorn - Your Passion Your Art Kit - Oct and Mixed Passion AddOn Kit
Cigar Box
Petaloo Dahlias - Yellow 1467109
Petaloo Flower Center Daisy Centers - Ivory 4200009
Petaloo Darjeeling  - Wild Blossoms Large Craft Brown
Prima Vines 578251
7 Dots Lost and Found - "213" SDPP0129, "Elements" SDPE8029, "Labnotes" SDPP0130



Plan a day trip! Crops -Classes-Fun
926 North Monroe St   
Tallahassee, Florida
Tel: 850.270.6366 Toll Free 800.231.7119



Please share your gorgeous creations with us on our Facebook page.  You can find it HERE.  You can also "tag" the Flying Unicorns on your Facebook post and we will be happy to feature you on Facebook.   To "Tag", just type @Flying Unicorn and our name should pop up in blue.  Select our name and you're good to go!
 Thanks for stopping

1 comment:

  1. Jen, your box is really gorgeous and I love the floral arrangement - and the instructions are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete