Shaker cards are popping up all over. They are adorable, fun and quite easy to make, once you know the technique. Here is a patriotic shaker card I whipped up for the 4th of July. Mine is patriotic but these fun cards are perfect for so many occasions. I have a detailed tutorial on Blitsy's Blog, along with close up photos of this card.
Beacons 3 in 1
Martha Stewart Doily Lace Edge Punch
AC - DIY Shop Gold Twine
Star Sequins Gold
Kaisercraft Clear Stamp - Life
Ranger Tim Holtz - Distress Ink Old Paper
Ranger Blending Tool
Ranger Non-Stick Craft Mat
Ranger Liquid Pearls - Bisque
Spellbinders Nestabilities Star S4
cardstock or prefolded cards
Ranger Heat It Heat Tool
Ranger Distress Embossing Pad
Prima Art Ingredients Micro Beads - Copper
Coordinations Card Stock
Gold Embossing Powder
Clear Acrylic sheets
Let's take a look at the instructions:
Start with either a pre-folded card or score your own card from cardstock. Cut some cardstock layers. Each layers will be smaller than the next so they stack nicely with a thin edge showing on each layer. Glue together.
The top layer of the card will be white or ivory. Diecut a star in the middle of the cardstock ( I used the Spellbinders Nestabilities Star die - 2nd largest die.)
3. Tape the Spellbinders Nestabilities large Star and 2nd largest star on blue cardstock. The tape will help the dies stay in place so that a thin star frame is cut.
Glue the thin star frame over the white cardstock star. You will have a perfectly layered star frame that will become the window of the shaker card. Do not glue to card yet. It needs to be decorated and filled first.
For a vintage look, lightly ink the card with Ranger Tim Holtz Old Paper. Make sure to ink the inside edges of the star as well for a consistent look.
6. Punch a decorative border, lightly ink to match the card, and glue to card as a border.
7. Wrap some gold twine around the top layer of shaker.
8. Add a piece of acrylic to the back of the shaker card and glue in place. I used Beacon 3in1 glue because it is very strong and works well with plastic, metal, fabric, glass, foam and more.
9. Add foam tape to the backside of the shaker layer. The foam tape will be the barrier that holds the beads inside the card. Make sure you have completely surrounded the star and there are no small gaps. If you leave any gaps, you will most definitely have an empty shaker card and beads on your floor.
10. Emboss your sentiment on the card before the shaker layer is added. Tip: place the top layer on the card and trace the star shape lightly in pencil. This way you know exactly where to place your embossed sentiment.
11. Add your beads and sequins. Then glue the card to the shaker top.
12. Ok here is one of those moments when I looked at my card and decided it was missing something. It needs more red. Do not be afraid to revise a project. Simply lift the gold twine and add the ribbon. Most of the time if the glue is still tacky, you can gently lift and move and revise.
13. Glue sequins to the face of the card. Add small dots of Ranger Liquid Pearls along the edge of the star.