Monday, June 13, 2016

Going Off the Page - With Flying Unicorns Wooden Birdhouse and Frank Garcia



Going Off the Page with Flying Unicorns 

Hello  - I'm here to take you "Off the Page".  

The Flying Unicorns June "Your Passion Your Art" kit was chock full of wonderful delights this month (well always actually). This month, Alda added a cool wooden birdhouse to the kit as the monthly "Off the Page" surprise.  

The "Off the Page" projects or OTP's - are a fun way to stretch your paper crafting skills and challenge yourself to perhaps reach outside your comfort zone.  

This is a wooden birdhouse by Darice.  It's a cute size - 5"x4"x3".


I opted to work within the natural color of the wood and not paint it.  I choose the easy way and less messy way of not painting.  I looked in my stash of papers and decided that Prima's Tales of You & Me collection by Frank Garcia, would work with the natural color of the wood nicely.  



Here's How I Made the Roofing:
Step 1.  My layered roof was made by simple punching out rows and rows of paper using my favorite punch - the Martha Stewart Doily Lace Edge Punch.  I started the roof at the bottom and working my layers as I moved to the top of the birdhouse.  




Step 2.  Glue a very thin strip of foam or cardboard to one end of the shingles making sure the scalloped edge is not covered.  This gives each row of the roofing a little lift and dimension and yet still lets you keep building up the roof without too much bulk. 

Tip:  I also built both sides of the roof at the same time - so for example I glued the bottom rows of the house on both sides then progressed to the next row.  This is how I was able to make the roof look symmetrical. 
 This is a better photo of the symmetry of the roofing.  
After everything was in place, I gussied the roof with Platinum Stickles.   You can also see each row has a little dimension and "lift".
The hole in the front of the house has a cut out stamp from the Tales of You & Me collection, then accented with the same Platinum Stickles.  

All the flowers are from the Prima Tales of You & Me collection as well.  



This piece is available in my ETSY shop right here.  Grab it before if flies away.  


If you missed the June kit, then you may want to consider the pre-order option available on the 20th of every month - with no obligations to purchase other months.  The kit does sell out quickly each month.  All the details are right here.  

Supplies Used: 
Darice Wooden Birdhouse 9184-74
Prima - Frank Garcia - Tales of You & Me flowers -Je t'aime 586256
Prima - Frank Garcia - Tales of You & Me flowers -586294
Prima - Frank Garcia - Tales of You & Me 6x6 paper pad 584399
Martha Stewart Punch - Doily Lace Edge Punch



Thanks for stopping here!



Are you visiting the Tallahassee area soon?
Stop in and say hello!
Plan a day trip! Crops -Classes-Fun
926 North Monroe St
Tallahassee, Florida
Tel: 850.270.6366 Toll Free 800.231.7119


2 comments:

  1. So pretty!! Tales of You & Me is the perfect collection for this! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi so beautiful I need this I my fav projects!!! This kit still available ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete