Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Two Different Looks -Grape Vine Cards With DIY Tutorial


Today I'd like to share a quick DIY tutorial and two different perspectives using the same chippies.  

Scroll down to see my step-by-step DIY tutorial showing how I finished the grapes and grapevines.  

I've selected the gorgeous detailed Grapevines chipboard from Creative Embellishments to use as perfect examples of how the same chipboard can enhance different papers for totally different looks. 

I am also going to show my step-by-step (easy) process to making these grapevines look diVINE - and almost fresh picked straight from the vineyard

Below is an image of the fabulous detailed Grapevine chipboard.   The package  has so many pieces in it - such a great value.   I was able to make two cards from the same package.  


Here is the first card.  I picked light cheery purple papers for a more contemporary look.  
The papers are from Stamperia - Stamperia paper - Lilac Flowers collection.  




I layered a grape leaf by using a bit of foam on the back to give it dimension.  


Step-By-Step
It's true -  I cannot paint....At all.  All those little lines demanding I stay neat and tidy and not stray outside them. 
 The problem is really two-fold.  1. I don't want to cover the gorgeous detailing of the chipboard pieces.  2. My problem and frustration also happens when the paints bleed on the chipboard.   

 Now I just the "Jen Cheat Method" of chipboard painting  detailed chippies.   Super easy.

__________________________
The image below has the steps I followed to created the look of my grapes and vines.  

Step 1.  I painted the leaves with  Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Forest Moss. Then I added some brown  to the vines and veins on the leaves.  
I used Dark Chocolate Liquid Pearls .  I find that products like Liquid Pearls/Stickles and Nuvo Crystal Drops are easy to use because they have a nice fine tip for detailed work, do not bleed and run and add great dimension to the chipboard.  I am not skilled with a paintbrush so anything I can do to make my life easy is the path I'm going to take. 

Step 2.  Next I wanted to add some highlights to the leaves and leaf veins so I added some light green Tonic Nuvo Crystal Drops - Gloss Green Apple.  

Step 3.  I added dabs of Lime Green Stickles Glitter Glue, then after all is dry, I inked the edges of the leaves with Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink -Walnut Stain 


Step 4.  Ahhhhh those ity-bity grapes clusters......have I mentioned I'm not skilled with a paint brush?  Oh yeah, I sure did. So I used the flat end of a wood skewer to dab a dot of paint on the grapes.  Soooooo easy and quick.  


 Step 5.  To give the grapes some dimension, I added Stickles to the grapes.  A bunch of grapes on the vine may have different shades of grapes and the different Stickles does just this - adds a few varying shades of grapes. 

Make sure to let the Stickles dry!  

Looking for more DIY chipboard painting "cheats"?  




Here is the second card I made with a vintage flair.  
The little "love" tag came from Stamperia's Old Lace 12x12 paper that I used on this project. 
The grapes and vines have a different feel on the Old Lace paper.  






Where to shop? 
You can shop for all your Spellbinders dies right here .
You can click here Tammy Tutterow.
You can shop for Stamperia papers here

Stamperia paper - Lilac Flowers collection
Stamperia's Old Lace 12x12 paper
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Paint -  Forest Moss
Ranger Liquid Pearls - Dark Chocolate
Tonic Nuvo Crystal Drops - Gloss Green Apple
Stickles Glitter Glue - Lime Green
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink -Walnut Stain
Prima Art Alchemy - Metallique Plum Preserves
Stickles Glitter Glue - Lavender
Stickles Glitter Glue - Diamond


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the techniques and specific products you used. Loving lavender right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jennifer! These are divine! I love grapes and these are very inspirational! I'll have to buy some grape chippies : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely GORGEOUS cards and love the grapes especially!! The soft butterflies really added to the dimension as well!!

    ReplyDelete