Monday, June 29, 2015

Spellbinders Card Creator Craftiness




Have you tried the Spellbinders Border Dies for cards yet? 

Spellbinders Card Creator Border Dies have arrived at stores and are flying off theshelves for a reason. The Spellbinders dies add a  touch of elegance and grace to any card.  I have to say I am officially obsessed with the gorgeous results.  

I am up on the Blitsy blog today showing how I created this card and also showing a secret background technique I created on the card.  You can see the tutorial right here

They are easy to use and can create countless card and border options.   My quick tutorial will help.  Plus Blitsy has several varieties  of these cool Border dies to choose from. 


Supplies

Petaloo Botanical Collection (You can find some options here and here)
Spellbinders Card Creator - A2 Scalloped Border One
Cottage Cutz Fancy Floral Frame (this one is nice too)
Yasutomo Pearlescent Watercolors
Paint Brush
Martha Stewart Branch Punch
Cardstock
Prima Chalk Edger - Lime Pie (lime chalk ink)
Let's see how I created this: 

1.
I am starting with a white card base and adding a soft lavender layer. I trimmed the lavender layer slightly smaller than the base card so that I have a thin white border frame. The border dies are 6 inches long so make sure your cardstock or pre-folded card is that length as well. I primarily use pre-folded blank cards so I will need to trim my card base.

2.
Select the combination of borders that you want as your layers on the card.



More choices to make...cut as many layers as you wish.



3.
Glue border layers to the card. I wanted the top layer to be white so I made sure to cut a piece of white cardstock big enough to fit nicely over all my border layers.


4.
In this step, I did a bit of the unusual. I decided to make a small subtle background with watercolor paints.
I wanted to add color, but thought soft and understated would be the way to go. I took some shimmer watercolor paints and simply dabbed them in one corner of my card. I did not get the cardstock super wet, and I blotted with a paper towel in between each watercolor application so that my card would not warp with excess water.
The colors I chose: light blue, light green, fuchsia, and purple.


5.
I cut a decorative oval die for the card and topped it with one flower.

 6. Last finishing touch, I punched some pine branches from one of my favorite punches - the Martha Stewart Branch punch. I find this punch makes wonderful cluster filler on cards, layouts and projects.I punched them from white cardstock and dabbed the edges with chalk ink. Then I simply glue and tuck here and there and fluff up the ends of the pine branches.
And here is one last look at the finished card.  

Zip over to Blitsy to see the details, the tutorial , my special background, and close ups of the card.   Right here




2 comments:

  1. So very, very gorgeous and elegant - love, love.

    I splurged at Bitsy over the week-end - sent them another $150.00 order - but saved a ton too.

    Going to tut n ow.

    ReplyDelete