Monday, September 30, 2013

Flying Unicorns Oct Off The Page Project - Haunted House Spooktacular




Flying Unicorns  Oct Kit of the Month - Farmer's Market and Hayrides
October also means spooky houses and Halloween frights.  I did my best to spook my family with the Flying Unicorns Off the page project for the month Farmer's Market and Hayrides. .  And the biggest surprise?  I used FabScraps – Angelic Christmas Collection

The purples and greens in this nontraditional  Christmas Collection from FabScraps was exactly what I needed as odd as that sounds.    This is what the house looked like to start.  

                               

To walk you through my creative process, I need to start at the beginning.  I originally had sugarplum visions for this house.  It was going to be a winter ice castle.  I started well into the project and had the intricate roofing all finish and was well into creating the walls.  I let a night's rest sink in and when I got up, I looked at my project and yawned.  Oh dear me - not good. 

Was I yawning because it was 4:30am?  Heck no. That's when the best scrapping is to be had at my house.  I was bored to tears of the direction I was heading.   so I ripped off all my roofing and tossed out my walls.  i revamped my direction and grabbed the FabScraps papers,   I just knew they would save me from  certain scrappy disaster.  

I started on the roof first.  Here is a close up of my dimensional, multi-layered roof. You will find complete and detailed instructions on how I made my roof  if you scroll down . 

I then decorated the sides and added embellishments.    My sweet little skeletons were from a craft store  in the Halloween section.  The little fencing was found at a craft store in the unfinished wood section.  











This little guy has a Prima Liberty rose in his pocket.  




Thanks for looking.  Grab your FabScraps papers at the Unicorn store today before they are gone.

For This Project You Will Need
Flying Unicorns Kit of the Month - Oct Farmer's Market and Hayride
FabScraps Angelic Christmas - I Believe Paper C61 002 (purple)
FabScraps Angelic Christmas - Festive Bells C61 004
Claudine Hellmuth Charcoal Black Acrylic
Adirondack Acrylic Paint - Silver Metallic
Stampendous Mica  Flakes- Tarnished Mica
Black Spray Paint
Wooden Fence
Prima Soprano Yellow flowers - 561673
Prima Liberty Small Rose 566951
Cheese cloth
Plastic Skeleton
Cardboard
Dylusions - Black Marble Mist
Prima Clear Stamp -960810
K&Company -Tim Coffey Halloween Bone Spooky Dimensional Stickers
Darice Wooden House


Instructions
1.     House Preparation:
2.     Paint the house black.  I used both black gesso and black spray paint.
3.     Cut walls using sheet of FabScraps Angelic Christmas Collection – I believe paper  C61 002.  Lightly ink the edges of each wall. Glue the paper to all the walls.
4.     Cut door frame and window frames from FabScraps Angelic Christmas Collection – Festive Bells paper  C61 004. 
5.     Draw lines in the shutters with a fine tip black marker and glue shutters in place. 
6.     Using a texture stamp, add some black stamping to the walls as desired. 
7.     Roof/Shingle  Preparation:
8.     Cut  ½ in strips of black cardstock.  Set half the strips aside.  The second half will be backed with either cardboard strips or dimensional tape.  These will be used to achieve a dimensional and varied look to your shingles.
9.     Cut all the paper strips into sections varying from ½ inch up to1in.  Add extra interest to your roof by cutting the pieces on angles, adding jagged edges and making some of the shingles  unique.
10.   Glue the shingles to the roof by starting at the bottom of each roof section. Alternate by gluing a dimensional shingle, then a flat shingle next to it.  When the bottom layer is complete, add the next layer making sure to overlap on top of the layer below it. Alternating your shingles.
11.   Once all shingles are on, you can fill in sparse places on the roof as desired.
12.   Glue mica chips on roofing as desired.
13.   If cardboard is showing on the roof, touch up with black spray paint.
14.   Finishing Touches:
15.   Paint wooden fencing with silver paint and add a touch of black paint to distress.  Glue to sides of the porch. 
16.   Glue plastic toy skeleton to the porch.
17.   Spray flowers with a light black mist to grunge up – not totally discolor.  Glue to porch and add one red rose to the skeleton.
18.   Tuck a small plastic skull to the floral cluster.
19.   Cut small pieces of cheese cloth and glue to the roof and windows for spooky cobwebs.
20.   Finish by gluing bats to the roof.    
21.   Enjoy. 










1 comment:

  1. I came from a cherry on top to see this. Not in to Halloween all that much, but I must say all your hard work paid off. It does look like it was hard work. Very cute. Congrats. If you can you should submit it for publication.

    ReplyDelete