Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Flying Unicorns Kit of the Month - Sunset Dreams- Rose Frame

This was created using the Flying Unicorns Sunset Dreams Kit for July. 
This is a reverse canvas.  I wanted a shadow box effect so I simply turned my canvas around and used the side with the wood frame. 

First I inked the edges of the frame with Clearsnap Donna Salazar Mixd Media Inx in Vintage and a little Butternut.  Oh, a little Schoolhouse also.   Then I took some gel medium and rubbed it in with my finger tips. The gel medium helps blend the inks and smooths them out.   

After my frame was dry, I laid some straw like mesh down and covered the inside of my canvas.   I did this just to add some texture to the project. 

Next, back to work on the frame some more.  I cut up the acrylic overlay from the kit.  It was just beautiful and cheery.  I glued it to the edges of the canvas with generous amounts of Ranger Glossy Accents. This is a great product to have when you are using acrylics. It seems to bond to the acrylic quite nicely.

Last step, I used a white wash of a gesso and sandy cream colored acrylic paint.  What I mean by this is I mixed my sand colored paint with some white gesso, and then added a little water to thin it out.   I painted it on the frame with a foam brush with a quick light wispy  wave of the foam brush. 

I did this because the overlay  was way to shiny for me. I was shooting for shabby chic and not shinny chic.  

One last finishing touch, I tucked some orange burlap (from a prior Flying Unicorns kit)  here and there.  I also added a little molding paste over the top of the straw mesh. 

Thanks for looking. 

Supplies:
Flyiing Unicorns  July Kit of the Month
Kaisercraft Porcelain Rose Overlay -Blue Bird.  PS285
Prima Flowers Soprano Coral 561680
Magnolia Floral Berries
Prima Flowers - Tatiana Coral 566357
Clearsnap Donna Salazar Mixd Media Inx  - Vintage, School House, Butternut
Straw mesh
Lace
Adirondack Paint - Sandal


1 comment: